Guide to Work Visas

Working in Ireland for candidates from outside the EU has never been easier than at present. This is not to say that it is automatically granted but the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Employment has been consistently making significant advances in making this process easier for skilled candidates, especially with the IT Sector.

The most usual process for non EU Candidates is through the Critical Skills Employment Visa process.

Candidates within IT who are from outside the EU that hold a relevant degree (such as Computer Science) and are offered a role in excess of €30,000 per annum can be brought on board legally through this scheme.

From a candidate’s perspective you will have to supply identification (generally a passport), proof of Degree and a photograph for the visa itself. As this system has moved from a paper based to an online process, candidates can work alongside their prospective employers to complete applications together.

There is a fee of €1,000 to go through this process, payable on submission, but candidates can now pay this themselves if the client is unable/unwilling to do so. From an employer point of view there are several advantages to doing this, however the downside is that it can take time to process, from anywhere from four to eight weeks. A real time notification of processing times is available here.

Trusted Partners

Many firms who hire regularly have become “Trusted Partners” of the Department of Jobs, Enterprise and Employment which effectively allows them to short circuit the waiting times to just two weeks. A Trusted Partner is obviously more open to bringing on board non EU candidates and as such you are more likely to be hired through them.


Alternative Visa Information

Here is a link to additional visas available here in Ireland, however each have their restrictions.

However, should your spouse hold a Critical Skills visa, you can work full time in Ireland (although you have to apply for permission to do so), many firms will hire candidates who hold a Stamp 2 visa and of course, once you hold a Stamp 4 visa you will be eligible to work as a defacto EU Citizen. Many firms are hiring candidates who hold the Stamp 1G Educational visa, which allows non EU candidates who have completed a Bachelor’s to work for 12 months or 24 months if they have completed their Master’s or PhD.

To learn more, please contact and we’ll be very happy to address any questions that you may have about your specific circumstances.